There once was a time when I had a big, bulky sewing kit. It ended up being a catch all for buttons, thread, snaps, scissors and whatever else needed to be sewed on. I ended up creating this Sewing Kit In a Mason Jar to keep what I needed on hand and within reach.
I’ll be the first to admit that I am not a huge fan of sewing. I’d much rather pick up a power tool and start ripping and tearing than trying to fit a piece of thread into a tiny hole in the top of the needle and sew something. However, there are times when picking up a needle and thread are the only option. For instance, my twin boys are notorious for popping a button off their shirt right before school. That, my friends, is the method to my madness for creating this easily accessible, portable Mason Jar Sewing Kit.
Let’s get you started on making your very own Mason Jar Sewing Kit. I think these would make a great gift too…so keep that in mind for anyone who is getting married, moving out on their own, heading off to college, learning to sew. I don’t sew enough for a large sewing box but everyone needs a few items for the occasional sewing emergency. Plus it’s cute enough to display!
Mason Jar Sewing Kit Supplies
- [easyazon_link asin=”B000YZ7G44″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”dod02-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber, White, 1 Bag, 12-Ounce[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B001AQRLM8″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”dod02-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Surebonder DT-200KIT Mini Dual Temperature Glue Gun with 12 – 4-Inch All Purpose Glue Sticks Kit[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link asin=”B003JZII34″ locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”dod02-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Surebonder DT-100 Made in the USA All Purpose Stik-Mini Glue Sticks-All Temperature-5/16″D, 4″L Hot Melt Glue Sticks-100 Sticks per bag[/easyazon_link]
- Pint or quart Mason Jar
- [easyazon_link asin=”B005HY9XFC” locale=”US” new_window=”default” nofollow=”default” tag=”dod02-20″ add_to_cart=”default” cloaking=”default” localization=”default” popups=”default”]Flexible Magnet Tape – 1/16″ thick x 1″ wide x 10 feet (1 roll)[/easyazon_link]
- Sewing Supplies (Needles, Thread, Scissors, Tape Measure, etc.)
This DIY Mason Jar Sewing Kit comes together relatively quickly. I use a quart-sized mason jar simply because I needed to store a pair of scissors. Please tell me I’m not the only one who spends more time collecting things for a project that actually doing them?!?
What you are really creating here is the lid. The lid is the star of this Mason Jar Sewing Kit project. Not only do you want it to be a pin cushion, but the magnet is going to house spare needles and pins.
Mason Jar Sewing Kit Instructions
Step 1) Trace the size of your lid onto a piece of cardboard.
Step 2) Cut out two pieces of fabric, one about an inch bigger and the other slightly smaller than the cardboard. In this photo we were making 2 different jars with different colors.
Step 3) Place your cardboard down and layer with polyfil (this will be used as the pin cushion) and then cover it with the large fabric piece. Place the band over the top of your fabric and pull tight.
Step 4) Flip your lid over and hot glue the fabric down to the cardboard.
Step 5) Place the second, smaller piece of fabric down to cover the cardboard and hot glue it around the edges. Finally, attach the magnet to the middle using your hot glue gun.
Now just place all of your supplies into the mason jar and you’ve got a super cute Mason Jar Sewing Kit. Place it in your home, up away from the reach of your children and grab it when you need to quickly fix. I love having it setting out on a shelf so it’s easy to grab when we have that occasional button pop happen.
You all inspire me and I LOVE to see the work that you’ve created. Feel free to share with me on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. And as always, be sure to follow Diva Of DIY on Pinterest and sign up for our FREE Newsletter to receive the latest projects delivered straight to your inbox!
If you like this project, check out these: