It’s finally time to show you my master bedroom deck retreat! Transforming this outdoor living space is part of our Lake House Fixer Upper series and I couldn’t be more excited to share it with you.
Making the perfect retreat starts with selecting the perfect low maintenance products! A couple of months ago I shared the details of the amazing cable rail system used on this deck. Today I am sharing the show-stopper of this sanctuary…the deck tiles from BuildDirect.com.
BuildDirect is a leading online marketplace for home improvement products and a perfect solution for busy families like mine who don’t have the time to shop the big box stores when looking for their home remodeling solutions.
When we were looking for the perfect flooring for our master deck retreat, there were several factors we took into consideration:
1) the master deck is above a finished room so I needed a flooring option that would not interfere with the ceiling below
2) I needed it to be water-proof,
3) I needed it to be easy to clean
4) I wanted something maintenance free and
5) I wanted it to look good.
BuildDirect makes shopping online for home improvement products simple.
- BuildDirect eliminates the need to shop around by allowing homeowners to quickly compare products and their reviews side-by-side.
- Not sure which option would look best in your home? BuildDirect offers five free product samples shipped overnight with doorstep delivery. You can check out the options here.
- BuildDirect offers delivery options to make sure you get your products where and when you want them.
BuildDirect offers best-in-class support for every step of the home improvement journey.
- With access to free virtual design tools like Design Center, homeowners are empowered to configure their spaces exactly as they desire. Floorplans will even be up to building code.
- BuildDirect customers get access to a full support team who can assist seven days a week by phone or online chat. Check out the blog and Learning Center for inspiration, tips and step-by-step guides.
- Orders are backed with a 30-day money-back guarantee so that homeowners can shop with confidence.
After receiving my samples and speaking with a customer concierge, I chose Kontiki Deck Tiles. Now let me show you how easy it was to install.
Here is the deck floor prior to installing the deck tiles. Because this deck is directly over a finished room, we had to prepare the deck subfloor a little differently than we would have if it were going over concrete or an existing deck. First, we added a ever-so-slight slope to the subfloor so that water would run off the front edge of the deck towards the gutter. We also sealed the subfloor with 2 layers of a TPO sheet membrane system so water would not soak into the ceiling below.
Here are the Kontiki Deck Tiles. They were shipped right to my door from BuildDirect.
Before installation, we made sure the TPO sheet membrane was free of dirt & debris. You definitely want a nice flat surface for the deck tiles to lay on.
I unboxed the deck tiles and laid them out to get a game plan. Here is what they look like from the side. 2 sides have an unfinished edge and 2 sides have a finished edge.
Notice the interlocking design??? That is what makes it so ingenious.
They literally snap together. It reminded me of the old bristle blocks I used to play with as a kid. (Yep I was that little tomboy playing with tinker toys, lincoln logs and bristle blocks…no barbie dolls for me)
I started in the back right corner of the deck (closest to the house) and locked them together one at a time, making sure to keep them going straight.
It was seriously so easy I could do some of it with one hand on the deck tiles and one arm holding Stella-Roo!
Here is a finished picture of the my master deck retreat. I love the way it looks and I have gotten so many compliments on it.
My new deck tiles are unique, attractive, easy-to-install and maintenance-free…what more could I ask for?
We were fortunate to be provided with free product from BuildDirect for this post. We did not receive any financial compensation and as always, my opinions are 100% my own. I would never recommend something I didn’t truly love.
Each and everyone of you inspire me and I LOVE to see the work that you’ve created. Feel free to share with me on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. And as always, be sure to follow Diva Of DIY on Pinterest and sign up for our FREE Newsletter to receive the latest projects delivered straight to your inbox!
Looking for more DIY inspiration? Check out these projects: