This post contains affiliate links
Today I am sharing with you the best homemade chalk recipe I have ever tried. As a painting contractor of 15+ years, I have tested just about every oil-based paint, latex paint, and chalk-based paint on the market…including all of the homemade chalk paint recipes on the internet.
One thing I have always loved about chalk paint is the chalky, vintage look that the paint delivers. One thing I have always disliked is the small selection of colors available.
I loved the idea of making my own chalk paint but I ran into the following hiccups:
- Plaster of Paris mixture —> Smooth consistency but mixure dries up too fast
- Unsanded Grout —> Too clumpy
- Baking Soda —> Extremely gritty
- Calcium Carbonate —> Need to make sure you are buying 100% Calcium Carbonate. It is tough to find.
Well…not anymore! I have finally found a Calcium Carbonate that is perfect for making the best homemade chalk paint…THIS IS LIFE CHANGING PEOPLE!!!! Watch the video below.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 Cup latex paint in any color
- 4 Tablespoons Pacosol Calcium Carbonate
- 2 Tablespoons water
1) Lightly sand the piece with 220-grit sandpaper
2) Clean with Krud Kutter or another de-greaser. Let dry
3) Using a good quality paint brush such as Purdy, apply one coat of your homemade chalk paint to your piece. Let dry.
4) Lightly sand again with your 220-grit sandpaper. This will do 2 things:
- most importantly…it will test the paint’s adhesion*
- knock off any rough edges or imperfections
5) At this point, you can add a second coat of the same color or switch to a second color for a layered look. Let dry.
6) Sand back the edges to distress
I absolutely love the way this turned out. The color is perfect and it goes great with the storage makeover project we finished last week.
Each and everyone of you inspire me and I LOVE to see the work that you’ve created. Feel free to share with me on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. And as always, be sure to follow Diva Of DIY on Pinterest and sign up for our FREE Newsletter to receive the latest projects delivered straight to your inbox!