Plastic storage containers are perfect for inexpensive organization. They come in all shapes and sizes so finding the perfect storage container shouldn’t be a problem.
The problem lies in the fact that I don’t like being able to see the chaos that lives inside the clear bins. I have a solution that will create “one-of-a-kind”, customized storage containers and…hide all of the clutter hidden inside.
This post contains affiliate links
Supplies Needed for Storage Container Makeover:
- Inexpensive plastic bins
- Krylon spray paint
- Fabric in desired pattern
- Mod Podge For Fabric
- Small squeegie or pot scraper
- Cardboard & a pair of scissors (optional)
1) Remove plastic drawers from the frame and lay on a flat surface (bottom side up) to spray paint
2) Apply an even coat on entire outer surface of bin. Let dry. Repeat.
3) Using scrap paper or cardboard, measure and cut a template for area being decoupaged
4) Lay templates on fabric, trace with a pencil and cut out with sharp scissors
5) Repeat step #4 with other fabrics.
6) Double-check to make sure the pieces fit the front of the storage containers
7) Pour some of the Mod Podge for fabric in a small bowl.
8) Using an inexpensive brush, apply Mod Podge to the backside of the fabric
9) Apply Mod Podge to the area of the plastic storage container you are applying the fabric to.
10) Using a pot scraper, smooth out fabric and squeegie out excess Mod Podge.
11) Repeat with all drawers. Let dry for several hours or overnight.
And there you have it…a stylish, customized plastic storage container that is both functional and full of fan-fare!
How will you makeover yours?
Each and everyone of you inspire me and I LOVE to see the work that you’ve created. Feel free to share with me on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. And as always, be sure to follow Diva Of DIY on Pinterest and sign up for our FREE Newsletter to receive the latest projects delivered straight to your inbox!
If you like this project, check out these: